Our aim, in everything we do, is to protect public health through proactive inspections, licensing, complaint investigations and routine sampling. The Environmental Health service is shared between Rother and Wealden District Councils.
Whether you are running a business, are an employee or a member of the public, we are committed to providing you with an efficient, courteous and helpful service. Our priorities are to protect public health, tackle environmental crime and to support the local economy. We are professional local and independent regulators serving our local communities.
What does our Environmental Health Service do?
We deliver services in:
- Food Safety – This includes food hygiene, imported foods, food related illnesses, the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme and training for food businesses.
- Health and Safety in workplaces – where work related activity affect the public and where we are the enforcing authority – accident investigations, safety advisory groups for public events, provision of advise for employers
- Licensing of alcohol, regulated entertainment, gambling, taxis, animal welfare and more.
- Environmental Protection – This includes air quality, contaminated land, and environmental permits for all air pollution activities.
- Community Protection – This includes anti social behaviour against the environment – waste, noise and drainage.
- Public Health – Pest and dog control, private water supplies, filthy and verminous premises and disease investigations.
We plan our activities each year based on the needs of local people and the business community. Our partner organisations, Public Health England, Food Standards Agency, Environment Agency and DEFRA, may ask us to target specific operations based on risk.For full details please see our:
We are committed to being transparent in our activities and we will publish our performance data annually. Visit please our Performance Management page for our latest performance data.