The main difference between the two is that taxis (Hackney Carriages) “ply for hire” and use taxi ranks, Private Hire Vehicles can only be booked in advance.

If you want to drive either a Hackney Carriage or a Private Hire Vehicle in the Rother area, you will first need to apply for a Dual Driver Licence. 

To licence your own vehicle you will then need to apply for a Hackney Carriage or a Private Hire vehicle licence.

If you want to accept bookings in the Rother area and are not going to be working for an existing operator you will also need a Private Hire Operator’s Licence. Please note that this requirement does not apply to Hackney Carriage Drivers/Operators.

For any questions about your existing or a new taxi licence, please complete our Taxi licence enquiries form below.

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!