There are two different types of “taxi”, Hackney Carriage and Private Hire.
The main difference between the two is that Hackney Carriages can “ply for hire” and use taxi ranks, whilst Private Hire Vehicles, which can only be booked in advance, may not.
Please refer to the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Handbook for full vehicle licensing details. Please speak to a licensing officer before purchasing a vehicle if you are not sure if it will comply with our requirements.
- Can pick customers up in the street or from a taxi rank in the Rother area
- Can be pre-booked without the need for an additional Operator’s Licence
- Must display an approved roof sign, be fitted with a sealed calendar meter, and carry a white licence plate on the rear of the vehicle, together with white door badges on the rear doors.
Private Hire Vehicles:
- Can only be pre-booked through an Operator licensed by Rother District Council
- Cannot display a roof sign, but must carry a yellow licence plate on the rear of the vehicle, together with yellow door badges on the rear doors
- Executive vehicles may be exempt from displaying plates at the Council’s discretion. Yellow licence plates will still be issued and must be carried inside the vehicle at all times, along with the Exemption Certificate.
All Vehicle Licenses last for one year and once licensed remain a licensed vehicle irrespective of whether it is working or not. The vehicle licence plates must not be removed and it can only be driven by a driver licensed by this Council.