This Start Up Pack is for any individual or company thinking about, or in the process of setting up a Hotel, Guest House, Bed and Breakfast, Self Catering Holiday Let, Caravan or Campsite or Holiday Park.

Do I need Planning Permission? How do I market my property? Who is the Tourist Board? Hopefully this online start up pack will answer all your questions and more! It will also prove useful for existing establishments as a reference point for further information.

Tourism is worth over £275,000,000 to the district of Rother each year, we receive over 484,000 staying visitors and 5,672,000 day trips per annum.  Tourism related expenditure supports approximately 20% of jobs in Rother (Based on 2012 figures)

Recent accommodation futures studies have identified a lack of both serviced and self catering accommodation establishments within the Rother area.

There are a number of things to consider when setting up an accommodation establishment and we have listed these under the following categories

1) Quality

2) Legal and Statutory Information

3) Advice, Support and Training

4) Tourism Stats, Strategies and Surveys

Disclaimer: Information supplied by Rother District Council is correct at the time of collation, RDC can not be held responsible for any inaccuracies in the information supplied.

Voluntary Registration scheme for short term holiday accommodation

The Council operates a voluntary registration scheme. To be registered please e-mail to the following information:

  • Your name and address
  • The address of the property to be registered
  • A short description of the property (eg house or flat and number of bedrooms)
  • And attach electricity and gas inspection certificates

There is currently no fee to register and registration lasts for 5 years. Your property may be inspected during this period.

Aimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!