Who can apply?

Organisations who may apply include:

  • Charitable organisations
  • Clubs and societies with a constitution e.g. playgroups and sports clubs
  • Community interest companies
  • Company limited by guarantee that has tangible social objectives
  • Town and Parish Councils
  • Voluntary and community groups or residents’ associations with a formal constitution

Applications will not be accepted from:

  • Any statutory organisations, including schools
  • Churches/faith organisations purely promoting their own faith
  • Families
  • For-profit companies, that benefit the directors or shareholders of the company
  • Groups that have no formal constitution
  • Individuals
  • Political organisations

All projects receiving funding must meet the needs of Rother residents and have significant community commitment to the aims of the project e.g. Local Action and community consultation.

Types of Eligible Projects

The types of projects that will be eligible for Rother grant aid are community based capital projects such as:
(As defined by the funding requirements) 

  • Community EV charging points
  • Community energy schemes such as scaled up biomass, heat pumps or solar
  • Capital grants for kitchens in community hubs
  • Funding for resilience infrastructure and nature-based solutions that protect local community areas
  • Capital grants which provide social cohesion
  • Capital grants which improve community infrastructure

This scheme does not fund:

  • Projects that are not delivered in Rother
  • Projects that are delivered in Bexhill
  • Projects that do not provide a service or benefit to Rother residents
  • Feasibility/research studies
  • Funding to continue projects and services already established
  • Retrospective applications
  • Projects that do not demonstrate sustainability over the medium term
  • Salaries/consultancy fees/expenses to those who may be involved either directly or indirectly with the project
  • Projects that do not demonstrate where the community has identified a need for a project/scheme (evidence of community support for the project will need to be provided)
  • Grants to individuals, national charities or private businesses (only community interest companies and community enterprises)
  • Projects where funding should have been provided for repairs, maintenance and alterations (we will consider applications for major repairs on their merits) – Please note: if your project includes the replacement of property, vehicles or equipment you will need to provide evidence as to what you are replacing, the age of the property, vehicle or equipment you are replacing, together with proof of invoices and minutes to demonstrate the maintenance regime that has been in place for these items
  • Paid for lobbying, entertaining, petitioning or challenging decisions, which means using the Fund to lobby (via an external firm or in-house staff) in order to undertake activities intended to influence or attempt to influence Parliament, government or political activity including the receipt of UKSPF funding; or attempting to influence legislative or regulatory action
  • VAT reclaimable from HMRC
  • gifts, or payments for gifts or donations
  • statutory fines, criminal fines or penalties
  • payments for works or activities which the lead local authority, project deliverer, end beneficiary, or any member of their partnership has a statutory duty to undertake, or that are fully funded by other sources
  • contingencies and contingent liabilities
  • dividends
  • bad debts, costs resulting from the deferral of payments to creditors, or winding up a company
  • expenses in respect of litigation, unfair dismissal or other compensation
  • costs incurred by individuals in setting up and contributing towards private pension schemes

We cannot support projects that have received funding from other Defra schemes. This includes:

  • The Farming in Protected Landscapes Programme – funding for farmers and land managers to work in partnership with National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty bodies to deliver projects on climate, nature, people and place
  • The Farming Investment Fund – grants to improve productivity and bring environmental benefits, covering 2 funds – the Farming Equipment and Technology Fund and the Farming Transformation Fund
  • The Platinum Jubilee Village Hall Improvement Grant Fund – grant funding over 3 years (to 2025) to support capital improvement projects for village halls, covering extending buildings and modernising facilities.

What is capital expenditure?

You must use REPF funding on capital projects. This means you must spend grants on assets such as a building or equipment which are expected to be used for a period of at least one year. This may include enhancements to existing assets which:

  • Significantly lengthen the life of the asset.
  • Significantly increase the value of the asset.
  • Significantly increase usefulness of the asset.

It will not include minor repairs and routine maintenance.

Grants must be for community purposes. Local authorities and/or grant recipients cannot use grants to fund domestic property improvements or to buy private vehicles. Local authorities and/or grant recipients cannot spend grants on revenue costs such as running costs (even if management of REPF is outsourced by a local authority), commissioning advice, design and project management costs for any projects, or promotional activities.

Page Navigation

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!