In order to apply for a Dual Driver’s Licence, you must:
- Hold a full DVLA, Northern Ireland or other EEA state driver’s licence
- Have held your licence for at least 36 months
- Be a “fit and proper” person
In order to establish that you are a “fit and proper” person you will need to:
- Provide details of your driving history with your DVLA records.
- Provide evidence of your conviction history by completing a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Disclosure form to Enhanced Level.
- Pass a Private Hire/Hackney Carriage practical driving assessment test.
- Make an appointment with your doctor for a medical examination, to DVLA Group II Medical Standards.
It may take up to 12 weeks for a licence application to be completed as we rely on information from other external organisations, such as the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
If you wish to proceed with an application then you must download the following documents:
- Dual Driver Application Form – this will entitle you to drive both Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicles.
- DVLA Mandate Form D796 – this authorises the DVLA to release details of your driving licence history to Rother District Council.
Book an Appointment
When you are ready to proceed, please call 01424 787550 to book an appointment. This will be held at the Town Hall, Bexhill-on-Sea, TN39 3JX. Please bring with you the following documentation:
- Completed application form
- Payment for application plus DBS check (see Application Fees page). This can be made by card using our Online Payment System
- Driving licence
- Passport or birth certificate
- Household utility bill/bank statement not more than 3 months old, confirming your current address
- Passport style photo
- Full address history for the last five years
- Employment history giving name and address for the past 5 years
If you have spent six continuous months or more overseas, we will expect to see evidence of a criminal record check from the country/countries covering the period, before a licence application can be made. This period will be for ten years. This is because there are some offences that cannot be considered spent for ten years. A Certificate of Good Conduct/Character should be obtained from the UK Embassy/Consulate for the relevant country or countries.
Additional Application Requirements
DBS (CRB) Disclosure at Enhanced Level
This is a legal requirement as there may be times when you will be working with children or vulnerable adults. Details of how to complete the application on-line will be given to you at your first meeting.
As part of your application you will also need to book and complete a Knowledge Test after your first appointment. Please visit our Knowledge Test page for more information. We advise that you familiarise yourself with the Handbook which provides information on Rother licence and taxi specific conditions. You will need to do your own research on the local area, where questions will cover the whole of Rother District.
You must have a medical examination, carried out by your own doctor, to DVLA Group II Medical Standards. This will be required with each time your licence is renewed until reaching 65 years. After this it will be required annually.
You will need to make an appointment with your GP (who may charge £80 to £180) and take this form with you. In certain circumstances it may be necessary to consult with the Council’s medical consultant.
If you have Group II Medical from a previous job that is not older than 12 months then you may use this with your Dual Driver application. Please speak to an officer if you think this applies to you.
Private Hire/Hackney Carriage Driver Assessment
A list of the organisations we use to undertake this practical driving test will be given to you at your first appointment. (NB: Applicants who hold a current PCV Licence will be exempt from this requirement).
English Qualification and Test
If you are unable to prove that you have English Language qualifications to a secondary school level then you will need to take our English test.
Criminal Convictions’ Policy
The purpose of the Criminal Convictions’ Policy is to provide guidance on the criteria taken into account by the Council when determining whether or not an applicant or an existing licence holder is a fit and proper person to hold a hackney carriage and/or private hire drivers / vehicle licence and / or a private hire operator’s licence.
The overriding aim of the Licensing Authority is to protect the safety of the public. The Licensing Authority is concerned to ensure that:
- A person is a fit and proper person
- The person does not pose a threat to the public
- The public are safeguarded from dishonest persons
- The safeguarding of children and young persons.
For full details please read our Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver Licensing: Criminal Convictions’ Policy 2019
Dual Drivers and The Immigration Act 2016
The Immigration Act 2016 introduces new sanctions to tackle illegal migration and illegal working. If you don’t have the right to work in the UK you will not be able to apply for a Dual Driver licence.
To be a licensed driver, you must be a fit and proper person. If you are abrupt or aggressive when talking to Council staff, this may prevent us from approving your application.
Incomplete applications, or applications not accompanied by the required fee will not be accepted. Applications which are withdrawn for any reason will be subject to an administrative handling fee.