An application for a Premises Licence can only be made by persons (including companies or partnerships) who have the right to occupy the premises and have an operating licence (from the Gambling Commission), which allows them to carry out the proposed activity.

When applying for a Premises Licence, applicants will have to submit:

  •  An application form which will need to be submitted to the responsible authorities.
  •  A plan of the building.
  •  The fee, which are set by Government and can be found on our Gambling Act 2005 Licence Fees page.

The Council may impose conditions that promote the licensing objectives, for examples door supervisors.

To apply for a licence please visit the Gambling Commission’s Licensing Authority Forms page to download the correct application form and return it to us with the fee to the address below. For details of the authorities to whom copies of your application should also be served, please see our Gambling Responsible Authorities.

Objecting to licences

Local residents, ward Councillors, resident associations and local businesses or business groups may make representations to the Local Authority about the grant or change of a licence.  The responsible authorities – Police, Fire Service, Environmental Health, Planning and the Safeguarding Children Board may also make representations or object.

Operating licences

Operating Licences are issued by the Gambling Commission and are required for individuals and companies who intend to provide facilities for certain types of gambling, for example casino operating licence, bingo operating licence or a gaming machine operating licence. The Gambling Commission also deals with personal licences for operators.

Race nights

Generally speaking you would not need a licence to hold a race night to raise money for charity. For more information on organising a race night, please visit the Gambling Commission’s Race Nights page.

Aimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!