Although most food businesses need to register with their local authority, some types of food business need to submit a different application form to become an Approved Food Business.

If your business is involved in the production of any of the foods listed below then you may need to apply to become an Approved Food Business:

  • Dairy Products
  • Egg Products
  • Egg Packing
  • Fish Products
  • Shellfish Purification
  • Meat Products
  • Minced Meat and Meat Preparation

How to apply

If you would like to apply, you may find it useful to read the useful information published by the Food Standards Agency at Applying for approval of a food or meat establishment by a local authority | Food Standards Agency

We suggest you contact us to discuss your application.

Please email and we will reply to you.

The application form can be found at Application for food premises approval from Rother District Council (

Keeping details up to date

Once you have been approved you will be inspected on a regular basis but you must notify us of a change of food business operator, if the nature of the food business changes or if the business closes. To notify us of a change then please resubmit a new application either on paper or online using the forms above.

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!