When is an exemption possible?
We may apply an exemption if everyone 18 or over living in a property is severely cognitively impaired. An exemption means that no-one has to pay the Council Tax for that property.
When is a discount possible?
Council Tax is normally charged on the assumption that two or more people aged 18 or over live in a property.
If there is only one adult living there, they can apply for a single person’s discount of 25%. However, if anyone aged 18 or over is severely mentally impaired and without them there is only one adult living in the property, you may apply for the same 25% discount.
What does severe cognitive impairment mean?
Severe cognitive impairment means a person who has severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused), which appears to be permanent. They should also be entitled to one of the benefits listed below:
- Incapacity Benefit or Employment Support Allowance;
- Severe Disablement Allowance or Invalidity Pension;
- Unemployability Supplement or Allowance;
- Disability element of Working Tax Credit;
- Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance;
- An increase in the rate of Disablement Pension;
- Higher/middle rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance;
- Standard or enhanced daily living component of Personal Independence Payment;
- Universal Credit where the calculation includes an amount in respect of the claimant having limited capability for work /work-related activity;
- Armed Forces Independence Payment;
- Income Support (which includes a disability premium) or;
- A state pension where the person would have been entitled to one of the benefits listed above if they had not reached retirement age.
How do I apply?
Please complete the electronic form below and ensure that the relevant section is completed and signed by a registered medical practitioner. We also require evidence that this person is entitled to one of the above mentioned benefits. Please attach this evidence to the application form as instructed.
Please note the easiest way to complete this online form is by using a tablet, PC or laptop.
What happens if I qualify?
We will send you an adjusted bill showing the appropriate reduction within 10 working days of receipt of your documents.