When is a discount possible?
Council Tax is normally charged on the assumption that two or more people aged 18 or over live in a property.
If there is only one adult living there, they can apply for a single person’s discount of 25%. However, if anyone aged 18 or over is a school leaver and without them there is only one adult living in the property, you may apply for the same 25% discount.
Who is a school leaver?
A school leaver is defined as someone who:
- is under 20 years old; and
- who has left school/college between 1 May and 31 October in any year, after undertaking a qualifying course of education.
A qualifying course of education is:
- one which lasts for more than three calendar months;
- one in which tuition is principally received otherwise than through correspondence;
- one which is not undertaken by the person in question in consequence of an office or employment or,
- one in which the relevant activities are normally carried out between 8am and 5.30pm.
The school leaver will be disregarded until 1 November in that year.
How do I apply?
Please print out the form below and complete and return to the address at the top of the form.
What happens if I qualify?
We will send you an adjusted bill showing the appropriate reduction within 10 working days of receipt of your documents.