If you live in, and pay Council Tax for a property which your employer requires you to occupy, and you are liable for Council Tax on a second furnished property, you may qualify for a discount of 50%.

Who can qualify for this discount?

The job related second home discount will apply to either;

  • The job related dwelling if it is the second home of you or your spouse/ civil partner i.e. not their main residence, or
  • To another dwelling if the job related dwelling is your main residence or your spouse/ civil partner and you have another dwelling that is therefore a second home.

One of the properties must fall into Class A, B or C shown below:

 A   The property is provided to you, or to your spouse/civil partner, because of your employment and it is necessary for proper performance of duties (as stated in your employment contract) i.e. tied accommodation.
 BThe property is occupied as a residence from which you, or your spouse/civil partner, perform the duties of a Minister of any religious denomination.
 CYou are in the armed forces and have your main residence in the UK in Ministry of Defence accommodation which is exempt from Council Tax under Class O.

This discount is not applicable:

  • If you have a second property in the locality of your place of work but you do not perform the duties of your employment from that address. There must be a direct link between your work and the property, such as caretaker, landlord of pub, schoolmaster
  • Unless both your addresses are in England, Wales or Scotland 
  • If you are not the liable person for council tax at both properties (unless the property is provided by the ministry of defence or for a minister of religion to perform his duties)
  • if you are a director or a partner in the company providing the accommodation (unless you are a full time working director/partner or the company is non-profit making or charitable)

How do I apply?

Please print the Job Related Second Home application form below and return with the requested evidence.

Council Tax – Job Related Second Home Discount

What evidence do I need to submit?

Please enclose a copy of the relevant parts of any employment contract or agreement that confirms the provision of the property to you or your spouse/civil partner and the requirement to occupy it. Please also supply a copy of your Council Tax bill for your main residence. You may send us photocopies or email us scanned copies to revenuesandbenefits@rother.gov.uk .

We cannot assess your claim for this discount unless the above evidence has been provided.

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!