When is a discount possible?

Council Tax is normally charged on the assumption that two or more people aged 18 or over live in a property.

If there is only one adult living there, they can apply for a single person’s discount of 25%. However, if anyone aged 18 or over is a carer and without them there is only one adult living in the property, you may apply for the same 25% discount.

Can I be disregarded?

You can be disregarded as long as you meet all of the conditions in EITHER Section A or Section B.

Section A

1.The care is provided on behalf of:

a) a Local Authority
b) the Common Council of the City of London
c) the Council of the Isles of Scilly
d) the Crown
e) a Charitable organisation

2. The carer must be employed by the person receiving the care and have been introduced by one of the organisations shown at 1(a) to (e) above.

3. The carer must be employed for at least 24 hours a week.

4. The carer must not receive more than £44 remuneration per week.

5. The carer must reside in premises provided by one of the organisations at

a) to e) above, or by the employer.

Section B

1. The care is being provided to a person who is receipt of:

a) higher rate of attendance allowance; 
b) the middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance or the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of personal independence payment
c) an increase in the rate of your disablement pension by the highest amount of attendance allowance;
d) an increase in the rate of a disablement pension or
e) an increase in a constant attendance allowance.

2. The carer must be resident in the same dwelling as the person receiving care.

3. The care must be provided for at least 35 hours per week (per carer).

4. The carer must not be the spouse, or partner of the person receiving care, nor the parent if the person receiving care is below the age of 18

How do I apply?

Please print the carers disregard form below and ensure that the carer completes the carers declaration. Please also ensure that evidence of qualifying benefits/allowances or proof of earnings from the carer’s employer are enclosed.

Carers Disregard Form

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!