In 2018, Rother District Council purchased the freehold on six industrial units comprising 1,599 square metres at Beeching Road Industrial Estate in Bexhill. Grant funding was secured from the Local Growth Fund (LGF) through the South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP) to refurbish and re-purpose the buildings in order to provide Workspaces managed by Bexhill College and Flatlands that will accommodate and develop creative sector businesses.
This project followed on from a number of local creative sector initiatives:
- RDC commissioned creative consultants Always Possible to undertake an Economic Impact and Feasibility Assessment in 2018, for creative workspace in Bexhill underpinning RDC’s drive to support local regeneration through the development of the creative sector in Bexhill.
- Bexhill is also one of two local hubs delivering SECCADS, a two-year European funded business support programme designed to support Creative, Cultural and Digital Businesses.
- Finally, the development of a workspace strategy forms part of the SELEP Culture Sub Group’s work.
By 2025, Beeching Road Studios will be established as:
A distinctive, visual arts-led creative cluster of …
- Artists and makers
- Craft, design and media businesses and their supply chains
- Specialist training and education providers and their students
… that offers tenants, service users and visitors …
- A variety of attractive, affordable and secure spaces
- Access to high-quality support services, facilities, learning and cultural experiences
- Opportunities for collaboration, career development and business growth
… which is based in Beeching Road, Bexhill but is accessible and connected to …
- Local residents and businesses
- Other regional creative communities and workspaces
- Commercial, cultural, educational and civic institutions
- National and international talents, markets, networks and opportunities.
Run by Rother District Council the Beeching Road Studios (BRS) will be available from August 2022 and will be allocated through an application process managed by the BRS steering group. To apply for a studio space, please visit the Beeching Road Studios website and complete the online application form.
The deadline for the first round of applications is the 7th of August 2022.
For more information about the project please contact Melanie Powell, RDC Regeneration Office
You can find out more about LGF projects on the South East LEP award funding page