These sites are used for holiday use only and should not be used as a permanent residence.  The sites vary from single caravans on a small piece of land through to large commercial sites potentially housing hundreds of caravans.  These sites consists of static caravans and/or touring caravans.  A site licence is issued by the local authority once the owner has obtained planning permission.  Conditions are attached to the site licence including when the site can be occupied.  There is no fee for this licence.

Caravan and Touring licenses are  issued by the Environmental Health Team.

There is no fee for this licence, but the site will normally also require planning permission.

Licence summary

Conditions are attached to sites licences including:

  • Restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time.
  • Controlling the types of caravans on the site.
  • Controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents.
  • Fire safety and fire fighting controls.
  • To ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained.

There are some exemptions from the requirement of licensing:

  • A caravan sited within the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.

Licences have a number of conditions that are dependant on the type of site e.g. touring caravan parks, residential parks or seasonal holiday home parks. We have produced our own Caravan Site Conditions for Touring Sites and Conditions for Static/Permanent Caravans.

Licences are transferable to a new occupier.  The occupier should send the licence with a request for transfer and proof of ownership, a new licence will then be issued.

Regulation summary

A Summary of Caravan Site Licensing has been produced by the National Archives.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply to Caravan and Touring Site Licences.

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied the website or use the contact details below.

How to apply

You can apply for an Caravan and Touring Site licence in two ways:

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates’ court.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates’ court.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked can offer advice on Consumer Protection Rights.

Trade associations

You may find the following organisations useful:

British Holiday and Home Parks Association

Federation of Tour Operators (FTO)

Group Travel Organisers Association (GTOA)

Hotel Marketing Association

National Caravan Council (NCC)

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!