Bidding for social housing

Bidding for social housing was suspended in March due to Covid-19. As of 11th June bidding will re-open and properties will be available to bid for as usual on the Sussex Homemove website.

Social Housing In Rother

The demand for housing association rented homes in Rother far exceeds the supply and we regret we are not able to help everybody who applies to us. Therefore we positively encourage you to consider other housing options, such as renting privately, low cost home ownership or mutual exchange.

Homemove – choice based lettings in Rother

Homemove is the choice based lettings scheme that Rother District Council uses to advertise vacancies for social housing in Rother. The Council does not own any properties but maintains a housing register of applicants. Rather than homes being allocated by the council, choice based lettings allow applicants to bid for the available properties they are interested in.

You can use Homemove if you are a home seeker applying for the first time or if you are an existing tenant seeking a transfer within the Rother area.

From the 4th April 2018 all available properties will be advertised on the Homemove website at People looking for housing association homes in Rother can then bid for homes through the website, by phone or text message.

To be able to bid, you must become a member of the Homemove scheme by applying to the Council for housing. Once you have successfully registered you will be sent a welcome letter with further information on the scheme, your application number and how to bid for properties

Got a question about Homemove?

You can use our Homemove contact us form to ask us a question or upload supporting documents


In order to be eligible for Homemove in Rother you must be able to demonstrate that you have a local connection to the district.

You will be seen to have a local connection if you meet one of the following criteria.

  • You have resided in the Rother District for three of the last five years
  • You have close relatives (mother, father, sister, brother, adult children and corresponding step relations) who have resided in Rother for the last 5 years
  • You or a member of your household are in permanent employment of at least 16 hours per week in the district or has a confirmed offer of such
  • You provide a voluntary or community based activity in Rother of at least 10 hours per week for the past 6 months
  • You meet part of the Armed Forces Personnel regulations: Please see our Allocations Policy for further details

Applicants who are unable to demonstrate that they meet this criteria will not be eligible for Rother Homemove.

You may also not be eligible if:

  • You have had rent arrears at your property
  • If you or friends or family have caused Anti Social Behaviour at your property
  • You are currently in Prison
  • You are under 16
  • You are assessed as having sufficient means to acquire your own home, whether through private renting or home ownership
  • You are subject to immigration control
  • You are currently living outside the UK

Further information on how social housing is allocated in Rother is available in the following document:

How do I apply?

You can only apply using the online application form. You can no longer apply using the paper housing register forms.

Once you have submitted your online application you must provide evidence to support your application within 21 days.

An easy read version of the form is available on request to applicants with a learning disability – please contact 01424 787000 for further information.

Supporting Evidence:

Once you have submitted your application online you will need to provide supporting evidence before the Council will assess or process your application. If you do not provide supporting information within 21 days your case will be cancelled and you will need to reapply.

Once we have received your supporting information the Council will aim to process your application within 28 days. The sooner you provide this information the sooner your case will be assessed. Please provide all your supporting information at the same time to avoid delays.

When you supply your supporting evidence please do not send in your original documents – we are unable to return these to you. Copies only please.

The minimum information you will need to apply is as follows:

  • Proof of Id for each family member included on your application ( a copy of birth certificate or passport)
  • Proof of Child Benefit/ Child Tax Credits
  • Proof of income for each family member included on your application (a copy of last 3 pay slips, benefit award letters or last 3 bank statements)
  • Proof of current residence – ( a copy of tenancy agreement, copy of mortgage statement or letter from friend or relative confirming living arrangements)
  • Further information to support cases of child custody/residency, carer’s, name change etc
  • If you have completed the medical section of the form we will also require further information regarding any medical conditions you or a family member may suffer from which is being adversely affected by your current accommodation ( OT reports, consultant or Dr’s letters, a copy of your patient summary)

If you are unsure what supporting information to provide please see our supporting evidence guide:

All supporting information should be marked with the name of the main applicant and your reference number and be sent to Rother Homemove, Housing Needs, Rother District Council, Town Hall, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex, TN39 3JX or taken to one of our Community Help Points.

How to apply:

 1) Apply for housing with Rother District Council by visiting:

Sussex Homemove

2) Submit your supporting documents

Please Note: Your application will not be processed without your supporting evidence

How long will I have to wait for an allocation?

The waiting time for allocation of social housing varies in accordance with the type and availability of property and where your local connection lies. 

The following tables list the number of properties let during 2018 and the length of time the successful applicants in each band waited for a vacancy:

Band A

Type / SizeNo. of LetsShortest WaitLongest WaitAverage Wait
Sheltered accommodation912 days26 months5 months
Studio general needs29 weeks4 months12 weeks
1-bed general needs398 days5 years5 months
2-bed flat or maisonette2110 weeks7 months3 months
2-bed house343 weeks6 years6 months
3-bed flat or maisonette14 months4 months4  months
3-bed house155 months31months11 months
4-bed25 months10 months7months

Band B

Type / SizeNo. of LetsShortest WaitLongest WaitAverage Wait
Sheltered accomm.185 weeks4 Years8 months
Studio general needs0   
1-bed general needs115 weeks8 years16 months
2-bed flat or maisonette214 months21 months17 months
2-bed house413 weeks31 months15 months
3-bed flat or maisonette0   
3-bed house120 months20 months20 months

Band C

Type / SizeNo. of LetsShortest WaitLongest WaitAverage Wait
Sheltered accomm.1119 days4 years13 months
Studio general needs0   
1-bed general needs311 weeks4 years19 months
2-bed flat or maisonette0   
2-bed house115 months15 months15 months
3-bed flat or maisonette0   
3-bed house119 months19 months19 months

Band D

Type / SizeNo. of LetsShortest WaitLongest WaitAverage Wait
Sheltered accomm.35 months5 years24 months
Studio general needs0   
1-bed general needs412 weeks6 years27 months
2-bed flat or maisonette115 months15 months15 months
2-bed house0   
3-bed flat or maisonette0   
3-bed house0   

I am already a member of Rother Homemove but my circumstances have changed – what do I do?

Applicants are advised to update the Rother Homemove immediately if their circumstances change.

Changes  Rother Homemove need to be aware of are:

Changes to your household members, changes to your employment status, changes to your local connection or you have a medical condition which is being adversely affected by the type of accommodation that you live in.

All changes of circumstances require supporting evidence in order to update your application.

Applicants must inform Rother Homemove of a change of address

Please complete the Change of Address form and return with supporting evidence:

If you wish to add or remove a household member from your application please put this in writing or email and if adding a person provide the supporting evidence required.