When is an exemption possible?

If a property is left unoccupied because the person(s) previously living there has permanently moved to receive personal care elsewhere, (other than a residential home or hospital) you may apply for an exemption from Council Tax.

An exemption means that no-one has to pay Council Tax for that property.

Who can qualify for this exemption?

You can be exempt if the person whom is being cared requires care for one of the following reasons:

  • Old age
  • Disablement
  • Illness
  • Past or present alcohol or drug dependence
  • Past or present mental disorder

This exemption is not applicable if the person receiving care was not the last person to live in the property you require the exemption for.

How do I apply?

Please print the Persons Receiving Care Elsewhere application form below and return with the requested evidence.

Council Tax – Receiving Care Elsewhere

What evidence do I need to submit?

To enable the Council to verify entitlement to this reduction you must provide evidence that the applicant has moved to receive care due to one of the above reasons. This evidence may include (but is not limited to):

  • Proof that the carer where the applicant is now residing is in receipt of Carers Allowance for the applicant,
  • Evidence that the applicant is in receipt of the Care Component of Disability Living Allowance,
  • A signed declaration from the applicants medical practitioner, confirming that the applicant requires care which can better be provided at their new address.

We cannot assess your claim for this discount unless the above evidence has been provided.

What happens if I qualify?

We will send you an adjusted bill showing the appropriate reduction within 10 working days of receipt of your documents

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!