When is an exemption possible?

If a property is left unoccupied because the person(s) previously living there have permanently moved elsewhere for the purpose of providing personal care,  you may apply for an exemption from Council Tax.

An exemption means that no-one has to pay Council Tax for that property.

Who can qualify for this exemption?

You can be exempt if the person whom is being cared for requires care for one of the following reasons:

  • Old age
  • Disablement
  • Illness
  • Past or present alcohol or drug dependence
  • Past or present mental disorder

How do I apply?

Please print the Persons Providing Care Elsewhere application form below and return with the requested evidence.

What evidence do I need to submit?

To enable the Council to verify entitlement to this reduction you must provide evidence that the applicant has moved to provide care due to one of the above reasons. This evidence may include (but is not limited to):

  • Proof that the applicant is in receipt of Carers Allowance for the person they are caring for.
  • Evidence that the person being care for is in receipt of the Care Component of Disability Living Allowance.
  • A signed declaration from a medical practitioner, confirming that the person receiving care requires care which can better be provided at their address.

We cannot assess your claim for this discount unless the above evidence has been provided.

What happens if I qualify?

We will send you an adjusted bill showing the appropriate reduction within 10 working days of receipt of your documents

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!