On 3 February 2022, the Government announced measures to help support households with rising energy costs.

This includes a £150 Council Tax energy rebate for eligible council tax payer in bands A – D.

Your Council Tax band is shown on your Council Tax bill. Alternatively, you can check your band by entering your postcode on the Valuation Office Agency’s (VOA) website.

There are two rebate schemes, The Discretionary Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme which supports those energy bill payers who are not eligible for the main scheme and the Council Tax Energy Rebate scheme for those that meet the criteria set out below.

Discretionary Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme – for properties in band E to H

The council has been allocated some funding to provide support to other energy bill payers who are not eligible for the main Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme. A maximum of one payment will be made per eligible property. Applications will be processed in date of receipt order with the fund closing on 30 November 2022 or when the fund has been exhausted, whichever is sooner.

Who is eligible?

A household who is liable for Council Tax and lives in a Council Tax Band E to H property or the household is not liable for Council Tax and resides in a Council Tax Band A to D property but is responsible for energy costs; and 

Is either

  • (a) In receipt of Universal Credit; Housing Benefit; Income Support; Council Tax Reduction; Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance; Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance; Working Tax Credit or Pension Credit; or
  • (b) Is not on those benefits but has a net weekly income of less than £257.69 for a single person or £384.62 for a couple and has capital of no more than £6,000; and
  • (c) Was resident in the property they are applying for on 1 April 2022.

How do I apply?

If you have previously claimed a Business Grant, Household Support Fund Payment or a Test and Trace Payment you can use the same account. Once registered or logged in please enter quick code 573BEW to locate the correct scheme

How much is the award?

The award is £150 and we will pay this into your bank account.

£150 Council Tax Energy Rebate

What is the Council Tax Energy Rebate?

The energy rebate is a one-off fixed payment of £150 which the Council will pay on behalf of the Government.

A maximum of one payment will be made per eligible property, even if more than one person is named on the Council Tax bill or lives in the property.

No adjustment to this sum will be made for single-person households or multi-person households.

Who is eligible?

The person named on the Council Tax account who meets all the following criteria at 1 April 2022:

  1. Their home is valued in council tax bands A – D. This includes property that is valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D as a result of a disabled band reduction;
  2. It is the council tax payer’s sole or main residence;
  3. It is a chargeable dwelling, or is in one of the following exemption classes:
    • N – property occupied only by students
    • S – property occupied by only by people under 18 years of age
    • U – property occupied only by people who are severely cognitively impaired
    • W – self-contained annexes occupied by elderly or disabled relatives

Who is not eligible?

No energy rebate will be paid in respect of:

  • A property that has no permanent resident and is someone’s second home
  • An unoccupied property (for the purposes of calculating council tax)
  • Where the council tax payer is exempt from paying council for any reason other than one of the four classes referred to earlier.
  • Where the person who is liable to pay the council tax (or would be were the property not exempt) is a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body.

How and when will it be paid?

Payments must be made directly to the council tax bill payer of eligible households; we are required to carry out pre-payment assurance checks to verify that the bank details held match the liable taxpayer named on the council tax records before issuing the payment.

Direct Debit payers

If you are eligible and currently pay your Council Tax by direct debit you will not need to make an application for the payment. The £150 will be paid into the same bank account used to pay your Council Tax. The exception to this is where the name on the bank account details according to our records does not match to the person or persons, we have liable to pay the Council Tax. If this is the case, we will write to you with details on how you can confirm your accounts information. Payments will be made from May 2022, after April’s Council Tax instalment has been paid.

Non-Direct Debit payers

If you do not already pay by Direct Debit, why not request to pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit today? This will ensure the £150 payment reaches you quickly without having to fill in an extra form. Direct Debit is the most convenient way to pay your Council Tax and over 70% of residents already use this payment method.  

If you continue to choose to pay Council Tax by any other method including standing order or you have an exemption (for example you are a student or receive full Council Tax Reduction) then you will need to make an application to receive the £150. We will write to you in May with details on how to do this. The letter will include a unique code that you will need to make the application. Please do not try and make an application until you have received this letter.

Changes in circumstances

As the effective date for the Council Tax Rebate is 1 April 2022, changes made to the council tax band of your home after this date will not be taken into consideration. The exception to this is newly built homes awaiting a valuation band, in these circumstances if the effective date is 1 April or before, a payment can be made provided all the eligibility criteria is met.

Further information

More information about the £150 Council Tax rebate, as well as other ways the government is helping with rising energy costs, is available at Gov.uk.