Housing Benefit is now only available to the following groups

  • Customers over Pension Credit age
  • Customers living in supported accommodation where the Landlord is a Housing Association, a registered charity or a voluntary organisation . The tenant must require care, support or supervision and this must be provided by the Landlord or someone on their behalf . (Evidence will be required).
  • Customers who have been placed by The Housing Department in temporary accommodation

If this doesn’t apply, you can apply for universal credit for help with Housing costs. Universal Credit does not cover help with Council Tax payments; you will still need to make a claim to Rother District Council for Council Tax Reduction.

If the above applies you could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income. Housing benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances. You can apply for housing benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.

You cannot claim Housing Benefit if:

  • You own your property
  • You pay rent to a close relative who also lives in the same property
  • You have savings of £16,000 or more
  • You are a full time student (unless you are under 19 or disabled or live with a partner or have children)
  • You are excluded from receiving public funds (e.g. some asylum seekers and other non-UK nationals)

For information on how to claim Housing Benefit, please view our How do I claim? webpage.

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!