What is a non-dependant?
This is someone, usually 18 or older, who normally lives in your home. They are often:
- An adult son or daughter
- Another relative
- Any adult who does not pay rent or Council Tax at the property
Non-dependants are not:
- Dependant family members for example, a partner, young son or daughter
- People who own all or part of your home
- A joint tenant or sub tenant
- Professional carers
- Someone who lives in the property on a commercial basis.
How is Council Tax Reduction affected?
If you have a non-dependant living in your household the amount of Reduction that can be paid may be reduced if you are of pensionable age. This is because it is reasonable to expect the non-dependant to make a contribution towards the household expenses.
From April 2022 to March 2023 the amount of the weekly deduction for customers who have reached the qualifying age for state pension credit is:
|Income Type||Gross Income||Deduction|
|Aged 18 or over and in paid work||£511.00 or more||14.15|
|Aged 18 or over and in paid work||£410.00 – £511.00||11.80|
|Aged 18 or over and in paid work||£236.00 – £410.00||9.40|
|Aged 18 or over and in paid work||Less than £236.00||4.60|
|Others, aged 18 or over||N/A||4.60|
|Non-dependants not in remunerative work||N/A||4.60|
|In receipt of Pension Credit||N/A||NIL|
|Aged 25 or over and on IS, JSA (IB) or ESA (IR)||N/A||NIL|
|Under 25 and on IS, JSA (IB) or ESA (IR)||N/A||NIL|
When is a non-dependant deduction not made?
No deduction is made where:
- A claimant or partner is registered blind
- A claimant or partner is in receipt of Attendance Allowance or a care component of Disability Living Allowance
- A non-dependant is a student or receives a youth training allowance
- A non-dependant has been an hospital in-patient for more than six weeks
What if there is more than one non-dependant?
A separate deduction is made for each non-dependant in the household. If two non-dependants are married to each other or are treated as a couple, only one deduction will be made for them. The amount of the deduction is based on their joint income.