Planning Information - find out planning history, planning constraints and confirmation of 'Approved Use'.

Do I need planning permission?

Please note that we are no longer able to offer an informal advice service as to whether planning permission would or would not be required for your proposal.

For a formal decision as to whether planning permission is required for your proposal you will need to submit an application for a Certificate of Lawful Development - Proposed.

For a formal decision as to whether listed building consent is required for your proposal you will need to submit an application for a Certificate of Lawfulness of Proposed Works to a Listed Building.

You do not always need to make a planning application if you are going to alter or improve your home. The following guide explains the cases where you might not need to make a planning application.  However, you are strongly advised to study carefully the Important Notes at the end of this area, and to seek written confirmation before starting work.

A great source of information is the Planning Portal Interactive House.

This advice is based on the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development ) (Amendment) (No.2) (England) Order 2008 which includes significant changes to the legislation that was previously in force.

Certain types of development are deemed to be exempt from the need for planning permission (General Permitted Development Order) and do not require formal permission. This is called Permitted Development (PD). For example under permitted development rights people can, in some circumstances, build small extensions to their homes or build small outbuildings without the need to apply for planning permission.

View full details of The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development Order) (Amendment) (England) Order 2013

View Permitted Development - Technical Guide for Householders

Do your own research (householder only)

Planning Portal Logo New This link opens in a new browser windowThe Planning Portal is the government's online service for planning. The site can assist on determining the need for planning permission, obtaining site location plans, submitting applications, as well as a whole host of guidance about the planning system.

Please be aware however, that the Portal cannot advise if there are specific additional restrictions on permitted development previously imposed by the Council which would mean that planning permission would be needed in any event.

Listed below are some of the tools and information that can be obtained from visiting the main site.

Interactive House - Explore the interactive house for guidance on many common householder projects

Interactive Terrace - Explore the interactive terrace for guidance relating to flats, shops and basements as well as many common householder projects, in England.

Extensions - Detailed information for extensions

Loft Conversions - Find out further information regarding loft conversions

Conservatories - Details about adding a conservatory to your property

Garage Conversions - A guide to garage conversions

Frequently Asked Questions

For further planning information, please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Listed Buildings and The National Heritage List for England

English Heritage hold a searchable database of all nationally designated heritage assets including Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments, Registered Parks and Gardens, Registered Battlefields and Protected Wreck Sites.

Search the The National Heritage List for England.

Important Notes

These notes are intended to provide guidance on the planning legislation only.

Before starting work you should always check with our Building Control Section with regard to the requirements of the building regulations.

Before starting work you should check that there are no restrictive covenants in the deeds to your property restricting the work you propose.

The Permitted Development allowances described relate only to single family dwellings and not to flats (purpose built or conversions) or commercial properties (apart from the allowances for satellite dishes which also apply to small blocks of flats).

If you need written confirmation that you do not need to apply for planning permission for a particular project you need to make an application for a certificate of lawfulness of proposed development.

Powered by GOSS iCM