In 2018, Rother District Council purchased the freehold on six industrial units comprising 1,599 square metres at Beeching Road Industrial Estate in Bexhill. Grant funding was secured from the Local Growth Fund (LGF) through the South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP) to refurbish and re-purpose the buildings in order to provide creative workspace to support the growth of the local creative sector.
This project followed on from a number of local creative sector initiatives:
- RDC commissioned creative consultants Always Possible to undertake an Economic Impact and Feasibility Assessment in 2018, for creative workspace in Bexhill underpinning RDC’s drive to support local regeneration through the development of the creative sector in Bexhill.
- Bexhill delivery of SECCADS, a two-year European funded business support programme designed to support Creative, Cultural and Digital Businesses.
- The SELEP development of a workspace strategy.
- The successful RDC culture-led Levelling Up Fund bid.
Beeching Road Studios has been established as:
A distinctive, visual arts-led creative cluster of …
- Artists and makers
- Craft, design and media businesses and their supply chains
- Specialist training and education providers and their students
… that offers tenants, service users and visitors …
- A variety of attractive, affordable and secure spaces
- Access to high-quality support services, facilities, learning and cultural experiences
- Opportunities for collaboration, career development and business growth
… which is based in Beeching Road, Bexhill but is accessible and connected to …
- Local residents and businesses
- Other regional creative communities and workspaces
- Commercial, cultural, educational and civic institutions
- National and international talents, markets, networks and opportunities.
Run by Rother District Council working with Flatland Projects the Beeching Road Studios (BRS) are a creative hub hosting a number of creative practitioners and businesses. BRS are overseen by a steering group comprising, RDC, the De La Warr Pavilion, Flatland Projects, Talent Accelerator and Arts Council.
For more information on availability and to apply for an individual studio please visit the Beeching Road Studios website.
For more information about the project please contact Melanie Powell, RDC Principal Regeneration Officer