In preparing the new Local Plan, and as set out in the national Planning Policy for Traveller Sites (PPTS) published by Government in 2015, the Council is required to:
- Assess the accommodation needs of gypsies, travellers and travelling showpeople in Rother district;
- Set pitch targets for gypsies and travellers, and plot targets for travelling showpeople, which address the (permanent and transit site) needs;
- Identify (and update annually), a supply of specific deliverable sites sufficient to provide five years’ worth of sites against the locally set targets.
- Identify a supply of specific, developable sites, or broad locations for growth, for years 6 to 10 and, where possible, for years 11-15.
To support the Council’s emerging Local Plan, we have worked alongside all of the East Sussex local authorities and the South Downs National Park Authority to commission a joint Gypsy, Traveller and Travelling Showpeople Accommodation Needs Assessment for the study period between 2021 and 2040. This study provides a summary of accommodation need for Gypsies, Travellers and Travelling Showpeople in respect of both their permanent and transit needs for pitches/plots over the study period.
Call for Sites – Gypsy, Traveller and Travelling Showpeople Sites
The Accommodation Needs Assessment identifies that additional sites for gypsies and travellers will be needed in Rother district, to meet the accommodation needs over the emerging Local Plan period. Therefore, the Council is carrying out a “Call for Sites” to give landowners, developers, site promoters and individuals the opportunity to put forward sites to be considered for allocation for gypsy or traveller pitches or travelling showpeople plots through the emerging Local Plan.
Sites will be assessed for their suitability, availability and achievability in accordance with the national Planning Policy for Traveller Sites.
To be considered, sites must:
- Be large enough to accommodate at least one pitch for gypsies or travellers, or one plot for travelling showpeople,
- Be wholly or partly within Rother district,
- Be submitted by the landowner or submitted with proof of the landowner’s willingness for the site to be considered as part of this process.
The Call for Sites will run from 7th August to 6th October 2023 although site submissions may still be accepted after this date, please contact us to discuss this.
Sites must be submitted to the Council using the site submission form which can be completed online:
All submissions must be accompanied by a red-edged site plan based on an Ordnance Survey map clearly defining the site boundary, together with any relevant supporting information.
If you are unable to use the online form, a PDF form can be downloaded by right-clicking the link below and selecting ‘Save target as’ or ‘Save link as’.
If you are using the PDF form, please email the completed form and any attachments back to us at: email@example.com or send by post to: Planning Policy, Rother District Council, Town Hall, Bexhill on Sea TN39 3JX.
Please use a separate form for each separate site you submit.
Alternatively, please follow this link if you wish to submit a site for consideration for general housing development or economic development