IMPORTANT Notice to all skin piercers, barbers and hairdressers, read and observe this letter on Covid 19 issues.

To offer skin piercing treatments within the Rother area you must hold both a personal and premises registration. Skin piercing includes all the following;

Piercing of any part of the body, tattooing, electrolysis, acupuncture, semi permanent skin colouring – microblading.


To protect public health Rother District Council adopted byelaws for all types of skin piercing

Application process and fees

A fee of £250 is payable for the registration of a skin piercing premises. A reduction of 50% (£125) is charged for a transfer of a skin piercing premises registration.  

A fee of £90 is payable for a personal registration to pierce skin. A reduction of 50% (£45) is available where the person can provide a certificate of registration with another local authority.

For new applications only, applicants may pay 5% less when making an application. If you do, you would then be invoiced for this amount plus £20 for the additional administration cost, when the licence has been issued.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply to skin piercing.

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How to apply

To apply for a Personal Registration for Skin Piercing download and complete our Application Form for a Personal Skin Piercing Registration, make a payment online and submit to

to apply for a Premises Skin Piercing licence download and complete our Application Form for a Premises Skin Piercing Registration, make a payment online and submit to

Skin piercing registration is covered by the European Services Directive; you may also apply online on the website:

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked can offer advice on Consumer Protection Rights.

Trade associations

You may find the following organisations useful: