Permits are required when premises provide gaming machines where either the stakes or prizes are very low or gambling is not the main function of the premises.

Restrictions apply to the type and number of machine that may be provided and to the stakes and prizes. For full details please visit the Gambling Commission’s Gaming Machine section.

The Council issue the following gaming permits.

Family Entertainment Centre Gaming Permits

These are most commonly located at seaside resorts and cater for families including unaccompanied children and young persons.  These permits last for 10 years and are subject to the payment of an annual fee.

Club Gaming Permits/Club Machine Permits 

These permits relate to members’, miners’ welfare institutes and commercial clubs.  Either permit granted will last for 10 years and is subject to the payment of an annual fee.

Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Notification/Permits

The Gambling Act provides an automatic entitlement to make available two gaming machines for use in alcohol licensed premises. In order to qualify a premises must be licensed for the sale or supply of alcohol on the premises, must have a bar at which alcohol is served and must not have the licensing requirement that alcohol is only to be served with food.

The premises licence holders must give notice to the Local Authority and pay the prescribed fee. We are aware that the form for this cannot be found on the Gambling Commission’s website so please download our Gaming Machine Notification Form.

A permit is also available for licensed premises to have a games room where more than two gaming machines can be placed.  An application fee and an annual fee is payable.

How to apply

To apply for a licence please visit the Gambling Commission’s Licensing Authority Forms page to download the correct application form.

You can Gambling Licence or Gambling Permit payment online and email the completed application to

You can also return the application to us with the fee to the address below.

Details of our fees can be found on our Gambling Act 2005 Permit Fees page.

Further advice

For more advice on gaming machines please visit the Gambling Commission’s Gaming Machine pages.

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!