Who can provide support, including with housing, to current or former members of the armed forces?

Initially, housing information and advice to service personnel will be provided by the armed forces up to the point of discharge and these services are delivered through the Joint Service Housing Advice Office and through Veterans UK. Some people, who have served in the armed forces for a long period, and those who are medically discharged, may be offered assistance with resettlement by the MOD’s resettlement staff.

Veterans can also access services through the Veterans Gateway, an online service and telephone resource. Within the Gateway a housing specialist service is in touch with veteran housing providers and has up-to-date information on any vacancies within the 4,000 plus housing units in the country specifically ring-fenced for veterans.

Military personnel as defined in the Allocation of Housing (Qualification Criteria for Armed Forces) (England) Regulations 2012:

Former and serving members of the Armed Forces (defined as those who left the armed forces within 5 years of the date they make an application for housing) will be given local connection to the Rother District and will be eligible for vacancies in all areas if they meet the following criteria:

a) Serving members of the regular armed forces who need to move because of a serious injury, illness or disability attributable wholly or partly to their service;

b) Former members of the regular armed forces;

c) People who ceased, or will cease, to be entitled to live in Ministry of Defence accommodation following the death in service of their armed forces spouse or civil partner;

d) Serving or former members of the reserve forces who need to move because of serious injury, illness or disability attributable wholly or partly to their service.

National Support Services

Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion provides support to ex-service personnel. They have a number of regional pop-in centres; the nearest to Rother is in Brighton or London.  The Legion also has a team of staff and volunteers based at the National Memorial Arboretum, available 364 days a year 9am-5pm. Serving and ex-serving personnel and their families are able to get practical help and advice whilst others can find out about the wide range of services and community activities the Legion can offer.

Their helpline team is on 0808 802 8080 or they can be reached by email on info@britishlegion.org.uk

Help for Heroes

Help for Heroes provides support for serving personnel, veterans and family members. If you are looking for support you can complete an online form and a member of their staff will contact you.  You can also phone them on 01980 844280 to talk to one of their team. 

They operate a number of supports hubs.  The Support Hubs are available to all serving and veteran wounded, injured and sick personnel, their families and carers.  They are free and confidential ‘one stop welfare shops’ available to access in person at their Recovery Centres or on the phone or by email.

They bring together a dedicated team of welfare specialists from a range of service charities and organisations to collectively offer advice and guidance on a multitude of issues such as money, health, housing and respite.

In relation to housing they can support by providing:

• Housing options & Benefit advice

• Assistance with home adaptations

• House purchasing advice

Local Services

Veterans can also access support from the East Sussex Veteran’s Hub

The Hub can assist with:

• Supporting veterans who are experiencing mental health issues; specifically PTSD

• Provide support to apply for funds and practical support

• Act as advocates and liaison

• Prison in-reach (currently only at HMP Lewes)

• Provide a safe space to engage in social activities

How can I prove I served in the armed forces?

The Ministry of Defence recently launched a Veterans ID card which will enable public and charitable sector services to instantly recognise the service of a Veteran. This card will provide proof that a Veteran has served in HM Armed Forces in line with the Government definition of a Veteran, which is one day’s service.

Further information about applying for the ID card can be found by contacting the Veterans UK helpline using the details below.

Telephone: 0808 1914 218

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!