The Council is responsible for administering disabled facilities grants. A grant may be available for a range of work that will help a disabled person to fund adaptations to their home and enable them to live as independently as possible.

The Disabled Facilities Grant may be available for help with funding a range of eligible adaptations that will enable people to live as independently as possible at home.

Types of work include:

  • Stair lifts
  • Wet floor shower rooms
  • Widening doors
  • Installing ramps
  • Adapting living areas
  • Specialist baths
  • Ceiling track hoists
  • Kitchen adaptations
A photo of a bathroom that has been adapted to be a wet room with railings

What is the role of the Council?

The role of the Council is to administer the grant. We determine whether the proposed works are reasonable and practicable. We also consult with East Sussex County Council Social Services on whether the works are necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of the disabled person.

You can apply for a grant if you are:

  • A tenant or owner of a property
  • A landlord on behalf of a disabled tenant
  • The parent of a disabled child age 19 or under

How is the grant calculated?

The rules regarding Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grants are set by the Government and not Rother District Council. The maximum amount is £30,000.00 and the grant is subject to a test of resources to determine if you are required to make a contribution. Parents applying on behalf of a disabled child for adaptations are not means tested. A local land charge will be placed on owner occupied properties. The grant amount above £5,000.00 will need to be repaid if the property is disposed of within ten years (maximum repayment £10,000.00)

The test of resources will be determined by the income and capital of the disabled person and the disabled persons spouse or partner. The means test also will take into account average weekly income and savings above a set amount.

If you have to pay a contribution?

Where the cost of the works is less than the maximum grant limit of £30,000.00 the grant will be the cost of works less the assessed contribution. Where the cost of the works exceeds £30,000.00 the grant will be the maximum grant limit less the assessed contribution.

How do you apply for the grant?

Before applying for a Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant, you will need to be assessed by an Occupational Therapist. They may arrange a home visit, offer advice and assist you in choosing an adaptation that will help you to be independent or help others to care for you in your home. Health and Social Care Connect, tel: 0345 60 80 191

Your Occupational Therapist will forward their recommendations on to Rother District Council who will send you an enquiry form and arrange a visit to your home

Once you have applied for a grant we will tell you about the outcome of our decision in writing as soon as we can, and no later than six months after you applied.

You can appeal to the council if you’re unhappy with their decision. If you appeal and you’re still not happy, you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

A photo of a staircase in a house that has had a stairlift fitted

Who can help me with the process?

The Adaptations support Service is operated by Town and Country. They provide advice, support and assistance to elderly, disable and vulnerable people. They can act as your agent throughout the grant process including:

  • Visit the property to assess the suitability of the proposed scheme
  • Provide advice and assistance in completing the grant application forms
  • Prepare any necessary drawings and specifications of works
  • Invite approved contractors to tender for works required
  • Supervise the works on site, ensuring that they meet suitable standards
  • Liaise on your behalf with all external agencies involved in adapting your home including planning and building control
  • Keep you informed on the progress of your application
  • Ensure that you are satisfied with the adaptation

Limited fees associated with agency/surveyor assistance can be included as part of the grant must be approved by the Council.

What happens next?

If you would like further information please write to Rother District Council, Disabled Facilities Grants, Town Hall, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex, TN39 3JX or telephone 01424 787674.

Further information on disability support can be found on East Sussex County Councils website

A photo of the outside of a house where a ramp has been installed leading to the front door

Contact Details

Rother District Council

Health and Social Care Connect

Tel: 0345 60 80 191

Town and Country Housing

Tel: 08456 008697

East Sussex Children’s Integrated Therapy Service

Tel: 0300 123 2650

Further information

AdaptMyHome allows you to check how well your home supports your needs, and whether you could benefit from some adaptations to help you stay safe and independent.

They have also produced a video explaining the rules for Disabled Facilities Grants.

Related Documents

Aiimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aiimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!