We can investigate where artificial light is entering a property or garden and making the property brighter in such a way that prevents normal living or forces a change in behaviour.

Before reporting a light nuisance to us we recommend speaking to the person causing it as they may not be aware of the issue.

If this is not successful or where individuals are not approachable, think about writing to them and if this does not work, then why not try contacting the free mediation service we partner with, who can assist you in communicating with your neighbour.

You can also take your own action through the magistrate’s court.

Please use the reporting form to see what we can help with and for advice on who else can help. Please note, anonymous complaints cannot be processed.

For complaints about street lights please contact East Sussex Highways.

For complaints about illuminated shop signs please contact Customer Services on 01424 787000 and ask for our Planning Enforcement team.


Aimee Digital Assistant Icon

Aimee - Rother Digital Assistant

Ask me a question!