Abandoned Vehicles are an unnecessary hazard. We work with Sussex Police and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to ensure this hazard is minimised.
Before reporting a vehicle as abandoned please check if the vehicle is taxed here.
If a vehicle is taxed and on the road no further action can be taken by Rother District Council. If the vehicle is dangerously parked and/or causing an obstruction only the Police have the powers to remove it.
An abandoned vehicle is usually:
- on the road
- not on private property
- unlikely to have moved for a period of time.
Please click the button below in order to report the abandoned vehicle to Sussex Police through Operation Crackdown.
What we do not do
We do not deal with vehicles that are:
- untaxed, but have an owner. Report an untaxed vehicle on Gov.uk
- on private land, unless written permission is given by the landowner to deal with the vehicle in question
- causing an obstruction or in a dangerous position – this is a matter for the Police (click Crackdown above)
- left in a dangerous position or condition after an accident – this is a matter for the Police (click Crackdown above)
- lost or stolen – this is a matter for the Police
- parked on the highway outside someone’s house. Although the householder may not like this, it is not an offence.
What we do next
After you report to Operation Crackdown
- We liaise with the Police and DVLA
- We visit the site and photograph the vehicle
- We write to the registered keeper (if there is one)
- The Operation Crackdown system decides from the evidence whether to remove the vehicle or not
- If the vehicle is removed, our contractors destroy it
- If an owner comes forward at any stage, we no longer continue with our enquiries.
Other ways to report an abandoned vehicle
Although Operation Crackdown is the best way, you may also email firstname.lastname@example.org with as many details as possible including the registration number and location.
What details will I need?
- The registration number, make, model and colour of the vehicle
- The location, as accurately as possible, of the vehicle
- Whether the car is untaxed.