Granny Annexe Exemption


Granny Annexe Exemption

A resident who is dependant on a relative living in a separate unit within a single property may be exempt from Council Tax.

Who can apply for a granny annexe exemption?

You can apply for a granny annexe exemption for dwellings which are the sole or main residence of someone who is dependent on a relative living in a separate unit within a single property.

'Dependent' and 'Relative' are clearly defined and a person must fulfil both criteria before we can grant the exemption.

What qualifies as 'dependant' and 'relative'?

Dependent means:

  • aged 65 years or more, or
  • severely mentally impaired (he/she has a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused) which appears to be permanent), or
  • substantially and permanently disabled (whether by illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise).

Relative means:

  • she / he is the spouse of that person, or
  • she / he is that person's parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle or aunt, nephew or niece, great-grandparent, great-grandchild, great-uncle, great-aunt, great-nephew or great-niece, or
  • she / he is that person's great-great-grandparent, great-great-grandchild, great-great-uncle, great-great-aunt, great-great-nephew or great-great-niece

How to I apply?

Please print out, complete and return the form below to the address at the top of the form.

pdf icon Granny Annexe Application Form [296kb]

What happens if I qualify?

We will send you an adjusted bill showing the appropriate reduction within 10 working days of receipt of your documents.

Powered by GOSS iCM