Webpage revised 30 November 2021

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings) (England) Regulations 2021 (legislation.gov.uk)

Face coverings: when to wear one, exemptions, and how to make your own – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Places where face coverings must be worn

  • Shops
  • Enclosed shopping centres
  • Banks, building societies, credit unions, short term loan providers.
  • Savings clubs, currency exchange, transmit money where customers are paid by cheque or cash
  • Post Offices
  • Estate and letting agents
  • Premises providing personal care and beauty – hairdressers, barbers, tattoo and piercing studios, nail salons and massage parlours.
  • Pharmacies
  • Premises providing veterinary services
  • Retail galleries
  • Retail travel agents
  • Takeaways without space for consumption for food and drink
  • Public Transport including trains, buses, planes, trams, taxis and private hire vehicles
  • Any car, van or HGV during a professional driving lesson, a formal driving test, or during one of the practical tests for giving driving instruction.

Notices or signs must be displayed at these premises advising customers to wear a face covering. Free to download posters are available at Covid-19 signs for businesses to display for customers and staff


These Regulations will be enforced by Rother District Council Environmental Health Officers, East Sussex County Council Trading Standards Officers and Sussex Police. Fixed penalty notices for £200 may be issued to those not wearing a face covering unless they hold an exemption.

Please read our Environmental Health Enforcement Policy


For advice or complaints email Rother DC on foodhs@rother.gov.uk or ESCC Trading Standards on trading.standards@eastsussex.gov.uk

Complaints regarding any individual’s behaviour or possible non compliance should be reported online to Sussex Police at Breach of coronavirus (Covid-19) measures | Sussex Police

Places where face coverings need not be worn

  • Restaurants, dining rooms in hotels nor members clubs
  • Cafes and Canteens
  • Bars including bars in hotels and members clubs
  • Public houses
  • Any other premises where the business is wholly or mainly by people for eating and drinking
  • Any other premises which is used wholly or mainly by people, whether by payment or otherwise, for consumption of tobacco by waterpipe or a device for recreational inhalation of nicotine.
  • Premises providing wholly or mainly medical, dental services, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractor, osteopathic, optometry and any other medical service including mental health.
  • Photograph studios