The legislation can be read in full by reading The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

These regulations are made in response to the serious and imminent threat to public health which is posed by the incidence and spread of Coronavirus in England. Regulation 4, Schedule 2 requires the following businesses and premises to remain closed;

Businesses and Premises that must remain closed

Business, Premises or PlaceExceptions
Any premises on this list may be used for blood donation sessions
Dance Halls, discotheques and any other venue which is open at night, has a dancefloor and provides music whether live or recorded for dancing.
Sexual entertainment venues and hostess bars


HM Government guidance on business closures has been updated at:

HM Government has published updated advice for all categories of businesses allowed to be open; including;

  • Indoor play areas, including soft play areas may open – ball pits advised against opening in guidance
  • Conference centres and exhibition halls may open – with guidance advising that this is only to enable government endorsed pilots for the time being.

From 1st August indoor audiences are allowed in theatres provided they are socially distanced:

HM Government advice for the performing arts is at:


These Regulations are enforced by Rother District Council Environmental Health Officers and East Sussex County Council Trading Standards Officers.

Concerns or complaints? Please email Rother DC at

If a business is found to be trading in contravention of the regulations, they may be subject to an enforcement notice prohibiting specified activities. If this is not complied with fixed penalty notices may be issued. A prosecution may follow.

Environmental Health Enforcement Policy

Face coverings

The law requires the wearing of face coverings on public transport and in;

Funeral DirectorsNail, beauty, hair salons and barbers except when necessary to remove for treatment
Premises offering professional legal or financial services.Massage parlours
CinemasPublic areas in hotels and hostels
TheatresPlaces of worship
Bingo hallsLibraries and public reading rooms
MuseumsCommunity Centres
GalleriesSocial clubs
Aquariums, indoor zoos, visitor farmsTattoo and piercing parlours
Indoor tourist heritage and cultural sitesIndoor entertainment venues – arcades, funfairs, laser quest, go karting, escape rooms, heritage sites and more
Storage and distribution facilitiesVeterinary service
Auction houses

It is everyone’s responsibility to wear a face covering. There are notable exceptions – employees at work, children under 11, police officers and first responders.

Businesses may refuse access if the person cannot claim one of the reasonable excuses (unable to wear a mask because of physical or mental illness, impairment or disability, lip reading, taking medication and more). The business may request the support of the police. Any concerns about mask wearing in Rother premises should be reported to Sussex Police at

SURVEILLANCE for CASES of Covid 19 in East Sussex

The Director of Public Health at East Sussex County Council publishes a weekly newsletter at

The Director of Public Health has published a plan to deal with local outbreaks at