When do I need Building Regulations Approval?

  • The erection or extension of a building (including loft conversions)
  • The installation or extension of a service or fitting (eg washing and sanitary facilities, hot water cylinders, foul and rainwater drainage, replacement windows and fuel burning appliances)
  • Alteration works which may have an effect on the building in terms of structure, fire safety and access and facilities for all (eg openings in walls, removal of fire doors, changes to accessibility)
  • The insertion of insulation into a cavity wall
  • The underpinning of a buildings foundation
  • The change of use of all or part of a building (eg conversion of a shop into a dwelling, conversion of a house into flats and conversion of a garage into a room)
  • Replacement windows
  • Electrical installations in dwellings

Remember to check with our Planning team to see whether your building project also requires planning permission. Do I need planning permission?

The government publishes Approved Documents which demonstrate how the requirement of the Building Regulations may be satisfied.

See also the Make a Building Regulation Application page.

Rother & Hastings guide to extending your home

Rother & Hastings Guide to Extending your Home This link opens in a new browser window
Rother & Hastings Guide to Extending your Home

Powered by GOSS iCM