Do I pay council tax if my property is empty


Changes to Discounts and Exemptions from 01 April 2013

Why are you making these changes to discounts and exemptions?

The Government has allowed greater flexibilities so that local authorities can keep the overall level of Council Tax down. The powers to make these changes were approved by parliament, as part of the Local Government Finance Bill enacted on 1 November 2012.

The level of discounts was approved by Rother District Council on 21 January 2013.

Are all Council's doing this?

Yes, but the level of the discount may vary from one authority to another.

I currently receive a Class C empty and unfurnished exemption for a property, what will happen to this after the 1st April 2013?

If on the 1 April 2013, your property has had more than one calendar month exemption, you will be liable for the full Council Tax charge

I currently receive a Class A disrepair exemption for a property, what will happen to this after the 1st April 2013?

After the 1st April 2013, Class A exemptions will be replaced by a discount of 50% for the remainder of the twelve month period. After this time, full Council Tax will apply.

Why am I being charged a 50% premium after my property has been empty for two years?

The 50% premium supports the Council's commitment to bring long term empty properties back into use.

Can the Council help me rent out my property?

If you are thinking about letting your property, the Council may be able to help you via our private sector Landlord Link Scheme.  This scheme offers benefits to owners in return for homes being made available for letting through the Council.  Please email for advice including likely rents that could be achieved.

I currently receive a 10% discount for my second home; will I still be entitled to this?

No, from the 1st April 2013, this discount will be removed and you will be required to pay the full Council Tax charge.

Can I pay my Council Tax over twelve instalments?

From the 1st April 2013, you can request that you pay your annual Council Tax bill over twelve monthly instalments from April 2013 through to March 2014. You will need to contact us in writing to request this change either by sending a letter to PO Box 60, Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex TN39 3ZF, or by emailing us at;

Powered by GOSS iCM