Council Tax discounts


Council Tax discounts

The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two or more adults living in a dwelling.

Single Person Discount

If only one adult lives in a dwelling (as their main home), the Council Tax bill will be reduced by 25%.

Sometimes other adults you live with are not counted when adding up the number of residents. Please see Disregarded Occupants below for more information on this.

Apply for a Single Person DiscountCancel my Single Person Discount

You can also apply for the Single Person Discount by completing the Council Tax Information and Registration Form and sending it back to us (please read the guidance notes).

pdf icon Council Tax Information and Registration Form [148kb]

pdf icon Guidance Notes [140kb]

See our Single Person Discount Review page for more information about the 2018 review.

Unoccupied and unfurnished properties

From 1 April 2018 if your property is unoccupied and unfurnished, you still have to pay Council Tax at the full rate. No discount is available. 

For properties that are unoccupied and substantially unfurnished prior to 1 April 2018, a 100% discount for a maximum period of one month (up to 31 March 2018)  from the last occupied date, regardless of any change in ownership is available. After which the full Council Tax will become payable.

See our Empty Property page for further information.

Properties undergoing structural alteration or repair

If your property is empty and undergoing structural alteration or repair, you can receive a 50% discount for up to twelve months after which the full charge applies.

See our Empty Property page for further information.

Job related Second Home Discount

If you live in and pay Council Tax for a property which your employer requires you to occupy, and you are liable for Council Tax on a second furnished property, you may qualify for a discount of 50%.

One of the properties must fall into Class A, B or C shown below:

    A. The property is provided to you, or to your spouse/civil partner, because of your employment i.e. tied accommodation

    B. The property is occupied as a residence from which you, or your spouse/civil partner, perform the duties of a Minister of any religious denomination.

    C. Your are in the armed forces and have your main residence in the UK in Ministry of Defence accommodation which is exempt from Council Tax under Class O.

See our Job Related Second Home discount page for further information.

Annexe Discount

Annexes which are used by the occupier of the main house as part of the main home, or annexes which are occupied by a relative of the person living in the main house will be entitled to a 50 per cent reduction in the Council Tax payable on the annexe.

For more information see our Annexe Discount Page.

Disabled reduction

Where the dwelling is the sole or main residence of a disabled person and certain conditions are satisfied, the liable person will be taxed at the next lowest valuation band. For properties in Band A the amount due is to be calculated as five ninths of a band D charge.

See our Disabled Reduction page for further information.

Disregarded occupants

People in the following groups do not count towards the number of residents in a dwelling:

For more information or to apply for these discounts please select the relevant group above.

If further information is not available above on your chosen disregard, then please contact our Council Tax offices on 01424 787000.


Powered by GOSS iCM