Housing Health & Safety Rating System
The Act introduces a completely new method for assessing housing conditions. It will replace the Fitness Standard (s604 Housing Act 1985 (as amended)).
The rating system will concentrate on health and safety in the home. Hazards will be identified and classified as either a Category 1 or a Category 2 hazard. The Council must take enforcement action to deal with Category 1 hazards and may take action to deal with Category 2 hazards.
A. Physiological Requirements
Damp and Mould Growth
B. Psychological Requirements
Crowding and space
C. Protection Against Infection
D. Protection against Accidents
Falls associated with baths
New types of enforcement action and notices will be introduced. These include:
- Serving an Improvement Notice requiring works to remove the hazard.
- Make a Prohibition Order prohibiting the use of residential dwellings or part of a residential dwelling.
- Serve a Hazard Awareness Notice advising of hazard and recommending remedial action.
- Take Emergency Remedial Action where there is imminent danger, the Council can also carry out emergency works.
- Make an Emergency Prohibition Order- where there is imminent danger, the Council can prohibit the use of property immediately.
- Make a Demolition Order requiring the property to be demolished.
- Declare a Clearance Area- designated areas will be demolished and redeveloped.
The owner of the property has options to appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal.