If you feel that you are unable to speak to or contact your neighbour directly, then the next option is to consider the services of a community mediator.

The mediator should be able to help you and your neighbour to reach an informal agreement on how to resolve the issue. Mediators help neighbours talk through problems and reach a solution by listening to everyone's views and solutions are reached by the mutual agreement of all those involved. The sessions are voluntary and agreements are not forced.

Neighbourhood mediation can deal with:

  • Noise
  • Children's behaviour
  • Pet's behaviour
  • Parking disputes
  • Harassment or abusive behaviour
  • Boundary disputes

The mediation service is part funded by Rother District Council and so in most cases there is no charge.

In order for mediation to be successful, both parties must agree to participate. If you would like to be referred to this service, please contact the Hastings and Rother Mediation via email or alternatively you can contact them on 01424 446808. If you contact them directly you will need to let them know where you found out about the service. If you would like us to refer you then please contact us on the details below.

For more information please visit the Mediation East Sussex website.  You may also be interested in this short video.

Please note that not all aspects of mediation are covered by Council funding.

If you are not able to resolve issues directly or through a mediator

We are able to consider issues that are likely to be causing a serious problem and are likely to be a Statutory Nuisance or an example of anti-social behaviour. Whether the disturbance would qualify depends on the frequency, duration and character of the issue and whether this would affect an average person living in their home. 

If you feel that the disturbance is severe enough and you have been unable to resolve the situation yourself or through mediation, then please visit our Reporting a pollution problem page.


Powered by GOSS iCM